Songkhla is a city located in southern Thailand, on the east coast of the Malay Peninsula. It is the capital of Songkhla Province and the largest city in the southern region of the country. Songkhla is located about 965 km south of Bangkok and is situated on the Gulf of Thailand.
If you want to explore the southern provinces of Thailand, Songkhla is a great place to go. This small city near the Malaysian border has a diverse culture and is a great place to relax.
Its worthwhile noting that there has been an insurgency in this area of Thailand for the past 20 years and you will find governments say you should not travel to the region. In saying that Western tourists do not get targeted so you would be very unlucky to get caught in an incident (which is usually a bomb).
The town’s history as a port town goes back to the 12th century. The city’s original name was Singgora, which means ‘the city of lions’. The name came from the lions that adorned the town’s walls. In ancient times, seamen would often spend the night watching the lions graze the city’s ruins.
The city is home to some of the country’s most iconic attractions. The old settlement in Songkhla has many historical buildings and is full of street art and local culinary offerings. Visitors can also visit the Songkhla zoo and Wats, which are located throughout the city. Koh Yor is an island just off the coast of the city, and is a great place to see a statue of the Sleeping Buddha. You can also buy traditional handcrafted woven cloth and t-shirts in the town.
Besides the historic sites of Songkhla, tourists and locals can also take in the city’s vibrant nightlife. The city’s Old Town is a popular attraction with locals and visitors alike. You can also visit the Songkhla Zoo, where you can watch tigers, penguins and other animals come to watch the shows. During the weekend, you can try out the various food offerings at the city’s numerous night markets.
Another must-see is the city’s night market. This is a great place to grab some cheap food and shop. The Songkhla Tae Raek is the city’s night market. The stalls sell clothes, trinkets, spices, and jewelry. The atmosphere is very lively at night and will make you want to stay in a place like this for a long time.
If you’re planning to visit Songkhla, you should not miss the golden Mermaid sculpture which was erected in 1966. Another sculpture not far from the golden mermaid is another bronze statue, of a cat and mouse. The large sculpture is taken from a local fairy tale about the origins of the off-shore islands, which are named ‘cat’ and ‘mouse’. This statue was put up in 2000 and a nearby plaque gives the full story of the cat and mouse.
Best Places to Eat in Songkhla
For the foodies, you can try the famous satay and authentic Thai cuisine. Its night market is a must-see destination for travelers. This is a great place to buy inexpensive souvenirs. The city has plenty of street food that is inexpensive and tastes great. Its market is also an excellent place to purchase some local souvenirs. The town’s night market is a great place to buy gifts and souvenirs.
The Songkhla Night Market is known for its wide variety of street food, with many vendors selling traditional Thai dishes. Some popular foods found at the market include:
- Pad Thai: a classic Thai dish made with stir-fried rice noodles, vegetables, and meat or seafood.
- Seafood: Songkhla is a coastal city, so fresh seafood is readily available at the market. Visitors can find a variety of seafood dishes, such as grilled fish, squid, and shrimp.
- Mango Sticky Rice: a sweet dessert made with glutinous rice, coconut milk, and fresh mango.
- Grilled meats: many vendors sell grilled meats such as chicken skewers, pork skewers and beef skewers.
- Thai-style omelette: a popular street food made with eggs, vegetables, and meat or seafood.
- Khao Tom: a savory Thai rice porridge, often served with meat or seafood.
- Thai-style fried chicken: a popular street food made with marinated chicken that is deep-fried until crispy.
- Thai-style ice cream rolls: a popular dessert made by rolling up ice cream in a thin sheet of fried batter.
For foodies, the Songkhla Tae Raek is an amazing place to stop for food. You can try local dishes and shop for souvenirs after dinner. If you have time, try karaoke! There’s a stage set at the intersection of Chana Road and Saiburi Road. You can participate in the singing by shouting along with the artists. This is one of the best things to do in Songkhla, Thailand.
Some other popular dishes in Songkhla, Thailand include:
- Gaeng Tai Pla: a southern Thai curry made with fish innards and vegetables, known for its strong and pungent flavor.
- Khao Yam: a traditional southern Thai dish made of sticky rice, mixed with various herbs and spices, and served with a variety of toppings such as fish, seafood, or vegetables.
- Khao Mok Gai: a Muslim-Thai dish made of steamed or fried chicken served over rice and topped with a spicy curry sauce.
- Kaeng Som: A southern Thai sour curry made with fish and vegetables.
- Khanom Jeen: a popular southern Thai dish made of thin rice noodles served with a variety of toppings and curries.
- Pla Pao: Grilled fish with salt and turmeric, which is a famous dish in Songkhla.
I recommend trying these dishes at local street food vendors or small family-owned restaurants for the best authentic experience.
The first place you should go is Lan Ta Chu Steak House, located on the main road from Hat Yai to Phatthalung. This restaurant is known for its excellent steaks. It also offers Japanese and Thai food.
If you are in the mood for Chinese or Thai cuisine, try Cafe Der See, a lakeside restaurant that serves delicious Thai-style steaks, spaghetti, and simple Thai rice plates. Or, if you’d like to experience the local Chinese-Thai culture, stop by Kopitiam Songkhla. Here, you’ll find traditional Thai fare, such as egg rolls and pork buns, as well as an iced ginger tea.
If you’re looking for a coffee house, try Kopitiam Songkhla, which has been around for 30 years. The classic Chinese-Thai café offers delicious meals and complimentary jasmine tea. You’ll be able to get everything you need to enjoy your trip in Songkhla and have a wonderful experience while you’re here.
If you’re on a budget, try one of the many local Thai restaurants. Each dish costs around 100 baht, and most of them won’t cost more than 200 baht. Unlike other types of cuisine, the Thai dishes at these restaurants are very reasonably priced, and you’ll enjoy the authentic flavor and fresh ingredients. And, they are worth every penny! The prices here are also reasonable.
You should try some of the local Thai food while visiting the province. It’s cheap, and you can sample dishes from the province while you’re in town. The prices for these dishes are very reasonable. You can also order one at a time, which means you can try several different dishes without worrying about having to wait for them to be served. It’s easy to spend the night here, so you’ll have plenty of time to explore the city.
For those with a sweet tooth, the best places to eat are those that serve traditional Thai food. You can enjoy dishes that have been locally adapted from other cuisines. And the best part about Thai food is that it’s usually fresh and made from local ingredients. And, the most famous dishes in Songkhla are made from local ingredients. If you’re a vegetarian, you can choose a dish with a vegetarian option.
The best Thai food in Songkhla can be found at Nang Ngam Road, near the police station. The food here is great. You can taste the flavors of the various ingredients in the menus of the best restaurants in Songkhla. The local market in the town is a good place to buy local produce. You can also buy some items at the local market.
Best Beaches in Songkhla
Songkhla province is located in southern Thailand, bordering the Gulf of Thailand and Malaysia. This region is home to the famous Hat Samila beach, one of the best in the world, and also has a zoo and native animals in their rainforest habitat. For those looking for something more modern, visit Hat Yai. It’s a modern city with plenty of restaurants and shops. Here, you can find the best beaches in Songkhla.
Songkla has some of the best beaches in the country, and they are all beautiful. The waters are clear and not too deep. The most picturesque part of Songkla is the golden mermaid statue. This golden sculpture was inspired by a Thai novel about an ancient mermaid. It has become a symbol of Songkhla, and travelers flock to the town to take a photo with it.
Samila Beach in Songkhla is a popular beach in the province, as it is located next to Laem Son On. The water is shallow and safe for swimming and the nearby BP Samila Beach Hotel has a mermaid statue on its front lawn. It’s one of the most beautiful beaches in Songkhla, and is one of the most picturesque places in the city.
Best Hotels and Villas in Songhkla
When planning your getaway to southern Thailand, consider staying in one of the many beautiful Songhkla hotels. These accommodations are within the city center, just a few miles from the Hat Yai International Airport. While you’re there, make sure to check out the amenities they offer, including dry cleaning services, laundry rooms, and valet parking. In addition to spacious rooms and a private pool, these Songkhla hotels offer convenient locations near popular tourist attractions.
For more information and all hotels in Songhkla on TripAdvisor and to book
Baan Nai Nakhon Boutique Hotel
Located in the historic old town of Songkhla, the boutique Baan Nai Nakhon Hotel features six rooms decorated with Thai antiques. Each room features air conditioning, a private entrance, and a seating area. There is free WiFi throughout the property and a round-trip airport shuttle for a surcharge. The property welcomes children of all ages. The owner’s lounge is a museum, with antiquities from his travels and curios from Songkhla’s history.
The Baan Nai Nakhon Boutique Hotel is located close to a number of attractions, including the Aquario and the Museu Nativa de Matchimawat. The hotel is about a half-hour’s drive from Hat Yai Airport. The local bus stops are also close by. The boutique hotel is within walking distance of Praia de Samila, Museu Nai Nakhon, and Porta do Centro Historico.
BP Samila Beach Hotel
Located on a secluded beach, the BP Samila Beach Hotel & Resort offers comfortable and luxurious accommodations. Its facilities include a 24-hour front desk, a fitness room, and a swimming pool. The resort also offers complimentary Wi-Fi, as well as free parking. This hotel is an excellent choice for those looking to spend a relaxing vacation with family and friends.
BP Samila Beach Hotel And Resort Songkhla is a great choice for families or couples wanting a beachfront vacation. The only hotel on the beach, it is also located near the airport, just 3.37 km away. The resort is easy to find and offers a function room for special occasions. Rooms at the BP Samila Beach Hotel And Resort are comfortable and spacious and offer a view of the sea. The staff at the BP Samila are welcoming and helpful, and the location is secluded and serene.
The Flora May Resort
This hotel provides a variety of amenities, including an outdoor pool and WiFi throughout the property. It offers a 24-hour front desk and a number of dining options, including halal meals. There is also a coffee shop on site for guests’ convenience. You can also arrange airport transfers with the hotel. The Flora May Resort also offers a free shuttle to the airport, but you should check with the hotel about the time and cost.
Located 4.7 mi from the center of Songkhla, The Flora May Resort offers an outdoor pool, room service, and a dry cleaning service. Guests will appreciate the hotel’s convenient location and amenities, which include a 24-hour front desk, luggage storage, and free Wi-Fi. Its spacious rooms offer air conditioning, mini-bars, and wake-up services, as well as free WiFi. A garden and a swimming pool are also available for guests to enjoy.
A. List Hotel
A.List Hotel in Songhkla is located in the Mueang Songkhla district. The hotel is close to attractions like the Songkhla National Museum and Samila Beach. Guests can also relax in the hot tub at the hotel. Guests can also take advantage of the hotel’s various services, including car hire, airport shuttle, and daily housekeeping. For a comfortable stay, book a room at A.List Hotel today.
This hotel is in the old town of Songkhla. It offers free WiFi, a bar, and a restaurant. Free parking is provided. The hotel also provides free private parking. The staff is friendly and helpful. It is located 1.5 km from the Golden Mermaid Statue. It also features free parking and a restaurant. There is also free WiFi throughout the hotel. It is recommended to book ahead of time to avoid any last minute surprises.
The Montana Hotel is located in the Mueang Songkhla area, close to a variety of attractions and restaurants. It features free Wi-Fi, a 24-hour front desk, and luggage storage. It also offers free parking, a car rental service, and laundry services. Guests can enjoy the warm hospitality and cuisine of local restaurants. They can also enjoy the relaxing atmosphere at the bar.
Facts about Songkhla
- Songkhla is a city in southern Thailand, located on the east coast of the Malay Peninsula.
- Songkhla Lake is the largest lake in Thailand and is 80km long by 20km.
- Songkhla is also known as Singora
- The towns main industry is fishing but it is also an important harbour.
- The ruins of the ancient port city of Satingpra are located 3km north of Songkhla.
- This area was a centre of international trade with traders coming from Quanzhou in China from the 10th to 14th centuries.
- Songkhla was the landing point of the Japanese invasion in 1941.
- There are many examples of Chinese Shop Houses in Songkhla some dating back to the 1830’s
- Songkhla is known for its beautiful beaches, including Hat Yai and Hat Samila, which are popular with tourists.
- The city is also home to a number of historical and cultural attractions, such as the Songkhla National Museum and the Songkhla Old Town.
- Songkhla is an important port city, with a busy harbor and a number of shipbuilding and fishing industries.
- The city is located near the border with Malaysia, and is an important transit point for goods and people between the two countries.
- Songkhla is known for its unique cuisine, which features a blend of Thai, Chinese, and Malay flavors.
- The city is home to a number of temples and other religious sites, including the Wat Samila and the Samila Beach Shrine.
- Songkhla is a popular destination for birdwatchers, as it is located near several important bird habitats, including the Songkhla Lake National Park.
- The city is also home to the annual Songkhla Lantern Festival, which is a popular event that attracts visitors from all over Thailand.