Los Gigantes (The Giants) is a small town located on the west coast of the island of Tenerife, one of the Canary Islands. The Canary Islands are an autonomous community of Spain located off the northwest coast of Africa. The town of Los Gigantes is known for its towering cliffs that rise from the sea and its black sand beaches. It is a popular destination for tourists due to its warm climate, beautiful beaches, and recreational activities such as scuba diving, whale and dolphin watching, and hiking.
The skyline is dominated by the “Acantildados” the “cliffs of the giants” that stand at an extremely impressive 500 meters above sea level. The Canary Islands are undoubtedly the warmest place in Europe winter, their geographical situation being off the coast of North Africa. Tourists flock in their millions every year to Tenerife, the South of the Island consisting of many man-made tourist resorts. Los Gigantes on the other hand has managed to keep much of its Canarian charm, and village life is set at a perfect pace for holidaymakers and residents alike.
- Los Gigantes means The Giants in English and the towns name relates to the Acantilados de Los Gigantes the cliff formations near the town.
- The beaches near Los Gigantes are of black sand.
- Los Gigantes is a small town but close by are the resort towns of La Arena & Puerto de Santiago.
There is a lot to do in Los Gigantes, considering that the town is only small and has only a few thousand permanent residents. It has an excellent bus service that provides routes to the south and the north of the island. The must do when visiting of course is taking photos of the giant cliffs. The only question that remains is which view point to take them from.
Going out of the village and following the road to the village of Tamaimo, you will find a perfect “mirador” to take your snaps from. Here you can use a carefully placed boat as the foreground for your photos, the giants providing an impressive backdrop no matter what the weather is doing. Two other impressive lookout points for photo opportunities are found as the end of the “Calle Adelfas” and “Calle el Pino”. Here you can admire the view of the harbour too, with its glistening water and impressive collection of yachts and sail boats.
Related Article – Things to do in Santa Cruz de Tenerife
What I Like Most About Los Gigantes
When it comes to this question, I definitely have two things I like most. One is that whatever day of the year it is, you will never wake up to less than 14 or 15 degrees Celsius (generally more) The warm climate puts you in a great mood to start your day, and one look at the giant cliffs and you will be reminded once again that you live in paradise. The other thing I love about Los Gigantes is how safe it is. It’s perfectly safe for kids to play out on the streets, and because of the carefully designed one-way system, cars simply can’t drive fast around the village.
Best Walk in Los Gigantes
The best walk from Los Gigantes will depend on your stamina and strength. As you look at the giant cliffs, you will notice a small hole towards the top. This from down below looks almost inaccessible; the truth is it’s not, and I personally have been up there and taken in the breathtaking views from high up. This walk to the “Ojo de Guama” or known by expat locals as the eye of the giants is perfect for anyone who is physically fit and is not scared of heights.
If you want to keep your feet nearer down to sea level, take a walk along the coast, past “Crab Island” and all the way to Puerto de Santiago, Playa de Arena, Varadero, and Alcalá. This walk has become more popular in the last few years, as a purpose-built path is now in place between Varadero and Alcalá. This walk is popular with families and pensioners alike, the preference for the elder generation being to walk to Alcalá, have lunch in a typical Canarian restaurant on the sea front, and then catch the bus back to Los Gigantes.
Best Restaurants in Los Gigantes
Los Gigantes is a stunning coastal town in the Canary Islands, known for its towering cliffs and breathtaking views of the Atlantic Ocean. But aside from its natural beauty, Los Gigantes is also a food lover’s paradise, with a wide range of restaurants offering delicious local and international cuisine. In this article, we will explore some of the best places to eat in Los Gigantes.
- El Pescador – This restaurant is a popular choice among locals and tourists alike, and is known for its fresh seafood dishes. The menu features a variety of seafood platters, as well as grilled fish, octopus, and squid. The restaurant has a cozy atmosphere and offers stunning views of the ocean.
- La Terraza del Mar – This restaurant is located on the beachfront and offers stunning views of the ocean and the cliffs. The menu features a variety of international cuisine, with a focus on Spanish and Mediterranean dishes. The restaurant is known for its seafood paella, as well as its tapas and salads.
- Tasca Tierras del Sur – This cozy restaurant is located in the heart of Los Gigantes and offers a range of Spanish and Canarian cuisine. The menu features a variety of meat and seafood dishes, as well as vegetarian options. The restaurant is known for its friendly staff and warm atmosphere.
- Restaurante La Escuela – This restaurant is located in a historic building that was once a school, and offers a unique dining experience. The menu features a variety of traditional Canarian dishes, as well as international cuisine. The restaurant is known for its wine list, which features a range of local and international wines.
- Bar Restaurante Tamaimo Tropical – This family-run restaurant is located in the nearby town of Tamaimo and offers a range of Canarian and Spanish cuisine. The menu features a variety of meat and seafood dishes, as well as vegetarian options. The restaurant is known for its friendly service and affordable prices.
Los Gigantes offers a variety of dining options to suit all tastes and budgets. Whether you’re looking for fresh seafood, international cuisine, or traditional Canarian dishes, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful coastal town. So, pack your bags, head to Los Gigantes, and enjoy a culinary adventure
Best Places to Say in Los Gigantes
I’ve added a few local hotels. If you’d like more details hit the link and you will go to TripAdvisor for more detail and customer reviews.
- Royal Sun Resort Standing proudly against the backdrop of the majestic cliffs that give their name to the tranquil resort village of Los Gigantes (“The Giants”), the Royal Sun Resort is set on one of the cliffs’ highest points, with unsurpassed views of the village.
- Hotel Tui Blue Los Gigantes -Blue Los Gigantes aims to make your visit as relaxing and enjoyable as possible, which is why so many guests continue to come back year after year. As your “home away from home,” the hotel rooms offer a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, and air conditioning, and getting online is easy, with free internet access available.
- Aparthotel Los Dragos del Sur – Spacious, comfortable apartments all outdoor terrace and magnificent sea views, equipped with kitchen and utensils, independent air conditioning, bathroom, furnished 1 and 2 separate bedrooms, safe with charge in all apartments.
- Arena Nest Hostel – enjoy your holidays in a wonderful place with unforgettable landscapes, resting in a comfortable and quiet environment on the beautiful island of Tenerife
The Canary Islands are renowned for their local fiestas. The village square comes alive with the sound of live music almost every weekend! But, the most noted festival in Los Gigantes has to be the carnival in March. After Rio De Janiero in Brazil, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Carnival is allegedly the second best in the world. And, I personally would put the local carnival of Los Gigantes as number 3. From a day carnival for kids, to a drag queen carnival, and activities in the square every day, many visitors to the town make sure their visit combines with this extremely special time of year.
Night Life in Los Gigantes
Los Gigantes, a charming town located on the western coast of Tenerife, is known for its stunning cliffs, clear waters, and beautiful beaches. But after the sun sets, Los Gigantes transforms into a vibrant and lively destination with a bustling nightlife. In this article, we will explore the best nightlife and bars in Los Gigantes, Canary Islands.
- The Tipsy Terrace – This bar is a popular destination among locals and tourists, offering an extensive list of cocktails, beers, and wines. The bar is known for its live music performances and offers a great atmosphere with a stunning view of the cliffs and the sea.
- Bar Allegria – This bar is located in the heart of Los Gigantes and offers a range of drinks, including cocktails, beers, and spirits. The bar has a lively atmosphere and often hosts karaoke nights and live music events.
- Acapulco Bar – This bar is located in the Marina Los Gigantes and offers a variety of drinks, including cocktails, beers, and spirits. The bar is known for its friendly staff and live music events, which include performances by local bands and musicians.
- La Taberna del Puerto – This bar is located in the Marina Los Gigantes and offers a range of Spanish tapas and drinks. The bar has a cozy atmosphere and often features live music performances.
- The Pheasant Plucker – This bar is located in nearby Puerto de Santiago and offers a range of drinks, including beers, wines, and spirits. The bar has a British pub atmosphere and often features live sports events on their TV screens.
In conclusion, Los Gigantes offers a vibrant and lively nightlife scene with a range of bars and venues to suit all tastes and preferences. Whether you’re looking for live music, cocktails, or a cozy atmosphere, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful coastal town. So, pack your bags, head to Los Gigantes, and enjoy a fun-filled and unforgettable night out
Best Day Trips from Los Gigantes
In my opinion the best day trips from Los Gigantes go by sea rather than by land. Down at the harbor, choose a boat trip to suit your needs and budget. From private charter, to the famous “Flipper Uno” pirate boat, there are plenty of options available for all budgets.
A day trip can be organized that includes a paella lunch onboard. Or you can choose an afternoon or morning slot on a whale and dolphin watching tour. A day trip that is unfortunately unavailable at the moment due to safety reasons is a hiking trip to Masca Gorge. This would start from the nearby village of Tamaimo, a hiking route taking you to the breathtaking village of Masca. From here you would hike down the temporarily closed gorge, returning to Los Gigantes from the pier at the bottom on the “Masca Express”
Little Known Fact: Snorkeling with Turtles
As a visitor to Los Gigantes, there aren’t really any well-kept secrets about the village. It’s easy to learn about the history of the cliffs and indeed the history of Tenerife before tourism hit in the 1960’s. One lesser known fact about Los Gigantes that I will share with you today is that is you can go snorkeling with turtles. There are well renowned dive centres both in Los Gigantes and in nearby Alcalá. But, if you fancy meeting up with the turtles on your own, take a short bus ride to the “Mendez” beach in nearby Alcalá where the waters are so crystalline clear that you don’t even need to go diving deep down into the ocean to see the turtles.
Interesting facts about Los Gigantes
- The cliffs that are called Acantilados de Los Gigantes rise from the sea to a height of between 500 metres to 800 meters in some places.
- The main accommodation in Los Gigantes are apartments rather than hotels.
- The local beach near the marina is a black sand beach.
- At the marina there are whale and dolphin watching tours available and scuba diving is popular.
- Los Gigantes is a small town located on the west coast of the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Spain.
- The town is named after the nearby cliffs, known as Los Gigantes (The Giants), which are over 500 meters (1,640 feet) high.
- The cliffs are made of volcanic rock and are a popular spot for rock climbing and base jumping.
- Los Gigantes has a subtropical climate, with warm temperatures year-round and very little variation between summer and winter.
- The town is known for its black sand beach, Playa de la Arena, which is popular for swimming and sunbathing.
- Los Gigantes is also home to a marina, which is a hub for water sports such as scuba diving, fishing, and boat rentals.
- The town has a rich history, with evidence of human settlement dating back to the Guanche people, the indigenous inhabitants of the Canary Islands.
- Los Gigantes is located near the Masca Valley, a beautiful and rugged valley with a rich vegetation and a small village at the bottom.
- The town is a popular tourist destination, with a variety of accommodation options ranging from hotels to holiday rentals.
- Los Gigantes is also home to a number of restaurants and bars, offering a variety of local and international cuisine.