Phloen Chit is a bustling district in Bangkok that is known for its luxury shopping, stunning architecture, and impressive cultural attractions. Situated near the city center, this area is a hub for both locals and tourists alike, and offers a unique blend of modern amenities and traditional Thai culture.
Whether you’re looking to explore the vibrant street food scene, relax in a beautiful park, or indulge in some high-end shopping, Phloen Chit has something for everyone. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the must-see attractions, best places to stay, and top shopping destinations in this exciting district.
Main Tourist Sites
Erawan Shrine – This stunning Hindu shrine is a popular attraction for both locals and tourists, and is known for its intricate design and beautiful sculptures. Visitors can witness traditional Thai dances and music performances, and make offerings to the gods for good luck and prosperity.
Central Embassy – This luxury shopping mall is home to some of the world’s top designer brands, as well as a wide range of restaurants and cafes. With its stunning architecture and modern amenities, it’s a must-visit destination for anyone looking to indulge in some high-end shopping.
Lumphini Park – This beautiful park is a serene oasis in the middle of the bustling city, and offers a variety of recreational activities for visitors. From jogging and cycling to paddle boating on the lake, there’s plenty to see and do in this peaceful green space.
BACC (Bangkok Art and Culture Centre) – This cultural hub is a great place to explore contemporary Thai art and culture, with a wide range of exhibitions and performances on offer throughout the year. Visitors can also enjoy a variety of shops and restaurants, as well as an impressive rooftop garden with stunning views of the city.
Best Street Food and Food Courts
Soi Langsuan Market – This bustling market is a great place to experience authentic Thai street food, with a wide range of vendors selling everything from grilled meat skewers to sweet and savory desserts. Visitors can sample some of the best local dishes at affordable prices, and soak up the lively atmosphere of this popular market.
Central Food Hall – This upscale food hall offers a wide range of international and Thai cuisine, with options for every palate and budget. From fresh sushi and seafood to traditional Thai curries and noodles, there’s something for everyone at this popular dining destination.
Central Embassy Food Hall – This luxurious food hall offers a wide range of gourmet food and drink options, with stunning views of the city skyline. Visitors can sample some of the best international cuisine, as well as traditional Thai dishes and desserts.
Nami Teppanyaki Steakhouse – This high-end Japanese restaurant offers a unique dining experience, with chefs cooking fresh ingredients right in front of your eyes. From juicy steaks to fresh seafood and vegetables, the menu is a feast for the senses.
Lady Brett Tavern – This cozy bar and restaurant offers a relaxed atmosphere and a menu of classic pub fare with a modern twist. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of craft beers and cocktails, as well as hearty dishes like burgers, wings, and salads.
Indigo Restaurant – This sophisticated French restaurant offers a menu of elegant dishes made with locally-sourced ingredients. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of classic French dishes, as well as unique Thai-inspired creations.
Best Places to Stay
The Athenee Hotel – This luxurious hotel offers stunning views of the city skyline, as well as a wide range of amenities and services. From spacious rooms and suites to a rooftop pool and fitness center, it’s the perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring the city.
Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel – This stylish hotel offers modern amenities and spacious rooms with stunning views of the city. Visitors can enjoy a wide range of facilities, including an outdoor pool, fitness center, and multiple dining options.
Plaza Athenee Bangkok, A Royal Meridien Hotel – This luxurious hotel offers a range of elegant rooms and suites, as well as a variety of dining options and recreational facilities. With its prime location in the heart of the city, it’s the perfect base for exploring all that Phloen Chit has to offer.
Best Shopping Centres and Markets
Central Embassy – This high-end shopping mall offers a range of designer brands and luxury boutiques, as well as a variety of dining and entertainment options. From high-end fashion to luxury home decor, it’s the perfect place to indulge in some retail therapy.
Central Chidlom – This popular shopping destination offers a range of international and Thai brands, as well as a wide range of dining and entertainment options. Visitors can find everything from fashion and beauty products to electronics and home goods.
Gaysorn Village – This upscale shopping complex offers a range of luxury brands and boutique stores, as well as a variety of dining and entertainment options. Visitors can enjoy a sophisticated shopping experience in a beautiful and modern setting.
Amarin Plaza – This shopping mall offers a range of local and international brands, as well as a variety of dining and entertainment options. From fashion and beauty products to electronics and home goods, it’s a one-stop-shop for all your shopping needs.
Central World – This massive shopping complex offers a range of local and international brands, as well as a wide range of dining and entertainment options. With its sprawling size and endless variety, it’s a shopper’s paradise that offers something for everyone.
10 interesting facts about Phloen Chit
- Phloen Chit means means “enjoy the mind” in the Thai language.
- The district is home to some of Bangkok’s most luxurious and expensive real estate, with prices often exceeding those in other major cities around the world and the land was developed by Nai Lert in the 1920’s
- The Erawan Shrine, one of the most famous attractions in the area, was originally built in 1956 to ward off evil spirits believed to be causing accidents during the construction of the adjacent hotel.
- Lumphini Park, the largest park in central Bangkok, was originally created as a royal retreat for King Rama VI and was opened to the public in the 1920s.
- The Bangkok Art and Culture Centre, located in the heart of Phloen Chit, is one of the largest contemporary art spaces in Southeast Asia, with galleries, exhibition halls, and performance spaces spread over several floors.
- The district is also home to a number of embassies, including the U.S. embassy, the British embassy, and the Australian embassy.
- The Athenee Hotel, one of the top hotels in the area, was originally built as the Kandavas Palace in the 1950s and was later converted into a hotel in the 1980s.
- Central Embassy, one of the most luxurious shopping malls in Bangkok, was designed by the world-renowned architect Amanda Levete and features a striking glass façade that reflects the surrounding cityscape.
- Lady Brett Tavern, one of the top restaurants in Phloen Chit, takes its name from a character in Ernest Hemingway’s novel “The Sun Also Rises” and offers a range of craft beers and modern American cuisine.
- Phloen Chit is a hub of transportation in Bangkok, with the MRT Phloen Chit station providing easy access to other parts of the city, and the BTS Skytrain station located nearby as well.
Phloen Chit is a vibrant and exciting district that offers a unique blend of modern amenities and traditional Thai culture. With its stunning architecture, top-notch shopping destinations, and impressive cultural attractions, it’s a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Bangkok.
From the bustling street food markets to the luxurious high-end restaurants and hotels, there’s something for everyone in Phloen Chit. So whether you’re looking to explore the city’s rich cultural heritage or indulge in some high-end shopping, this district is the perfect place to start. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable experience in one of Bangkok’s most vibrant neighborhoods.