St. Joseph is a city in Stearns County, Minnesota, United States. It is located about 45 miles northwest of Minneapolis and is part of the St. Cloud metropolitan area. St. Joseph is situated along the Mississippi River and is known for its small-town charm and outdoor recreational opportunities. It is a popular destination for fishing, boating, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
The city of St. Joseph, Minnesota is located about 90 minutes north of the Twin Cities metropolitan area. The town was incorporated in 1890, and is home to over 7,000 people. Its largest employer is the College of Saint Benedict.
There’s plenty of fun things to see and do in and around St. Joseph (or St. Joe, us locals call it).
Must do activity
The Millstream Arts Festival is held in downtown St. Joseph every year during the last weekend of September. Dozens of artists put up tents to showcase their wares. You can buy a unique creation, enjoy live music and sample some tasty treats from local merchants while you’re there. Admission is free and people of all ages are welcome to attend.
What I like best about St. Joseph
The best part about living in St.Joseph is that it has everything I need. It’s a small but growing town. There are gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, a butcher shop, specialty stores, a post office and other amenities, many of which are within walking distance. It’s a busy city but not too busy that I can’t enjoy some much needed peace and quiet from time to time.
Another thing I like about my town is its central location. It’s ten minutes away from St. Cloud, the largest city. I can drive down County Road 2 and be on the interstate in a matter of minutes. From there I can head south towards to the Twin Cities or southern Minnesota, north to Duluth or Walker or go anywhere else that I want to go
The Lake Wobegon Trail spreads across St. Joseph and ten other cities in Central Minnesota. The trail is 65 miles long and ten feet wide. It can be crossed by foot, rollerblade, bicycle or snowmobile in the winter. It’s an impressive trail that allows you to admire and appreciate more of the area at your own pace.
Kraemer Lake Wildwood Park is another great trail in St. Joseph. Located on County Highway 51, the park has several different trails around marshes and wetlands. Some of the trees along these trails are over 300 years old!
Millstream Park is on the city’s northwestern corner. There is a wooded walking trail along the Watab River that you can explore at any time. There are also several recreational activities at the park and a shelter that’s available to rent for parties and other get-togethers year round.
St. Joseph has a good selection of restaurants with a wide variety of cuisines. You can enjoy an authentic Italian meal at Bello Cucina or stop and pick up a pizza at Sliced just a few blocks down. Coffee lovers flock to The Local Blend on Main Street when they’re out and about. Bo Diddley’s Deli is a good place to get a sub. Early risers can often be found at Kay’s Kitchen, a local restaurant known for their bountiful breakfasts and some of the best pies around. Family and friends can also get together for a nice meal at Neighbors Route 75 Bar and Grill, China One and Taqueria La Perla.
Best Hotels in St Joseph
Here are our favourite hotels around St Joseph Minnesota. Please click the links to get more information and reviews for these hotels on TripAdvisor.
- Rodeway Inn – is a budget hotel located close to the College of Saint Benedict and Saint John’s University and most other local attractions.
- Coratel Inn & Suites Waite Park is conveniently located in downtown Waite Park just off Highway 23 and close to St. Cloud State University. It is approximately 7km from St Joseph.
- Hilton Garden Inn St Cloud is located near highways 15 and 23 and is approximately 7km from St Joseph.
- Residence Inn St. Cloud Waite Park – Our hotel in St. Cloud features spacious studio, one- and two-bedroom suites with separate living and sleeping areas. A fully equipped kitchen can be stocked by our complimentary grocery delivery service. The hotel is approx 7km from St Joseph.
Joetown Rocks is an annual two-day city celebration every 4th of July weekend. The festivities start with a parade down Main Street. There are local food vendors, kids’ games, live music from local musicians and much more. I enjoy watching the fireworks from my garage at night that go off right after the free concert. The next afternoon, I head downtown for a bite to eat and to catch up with friends at the food and merchandise stands.
There are several bars and nightclubs in downtown St. Joseph that are within just a few blocks of each other. The La Playette has a special place in my heart, because it’s the place where my parents met when they were in college, but there are also several other fine establishments in town. Sal’s Bar is a great place to have a beer and watch a ballgame. The Middy is a good small town bar with a relaxed atmosphere. Stonehouse Tavern is new in town, but already has a steady base of loyal customers.
Best Out of Town Day Trip
The best out of town day trip really depends on how far you want to go. If you don’t want to stray too far from St. Joe, you can head a few miles north on County Road 75 and visit Saint John’s University. There you can attend a Johnnies football game, attend an art exhibit or spend time in nature at the Arboretum. Country music lovers traverse County Road 2 to attend the annual FireFest on the Cold Spring Brewery grounds in late July. While you’re there, you can stop by the Cold Spring Bakery for some fresh baked goods, view the classic cars on display, take a tour of the Cold Spring Brewery or partake in several other kid and family-friendly events.
If you want to travel a little farther out of St Joseph, you’re less than two hours away from the Twin Cities. In Minneapolis you can attend a Twins game at Target Field, a Vikings football game at the new US Bank Stadium, a Timberwolves or Lynx basketball game at Target Center or enjoy live music at First Avenue or plenty of other local establishments. If you’re heading to St. Paul, you can get tickets for a show or a Minnesota Wild hockey game at the Xcel Energy Center or take in an exhibit at the nearby Science Museum of Minnesota.
If you really want to get away from it all, you can drive about three hours north to watch the ships sail through Canal Park in Duluth. The city is located on the shores of Lake Superior. You can go shopping, have a nice meal, explore the historic Glensheen Mansion and much more.
A Little Known Fact about St. Joseph
There’s a high-quality professional recording studio in town. Rockhouse Productions has been located on Main Street since 1989, in the former First National Bank location. The studio is owned by the family of the late pop singer Bobby Vee. They are a full-scale studio recording, music production, artist management, talent booking and event production company.
- St. Joseph contains three properties listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the 1869 Church of St. Joseph, the 1918 First State Bank building, and a district of historic buildings at the Saint Benedict’s Monastery and College built from 1882 to the 1920s
- As at 1 July 2019 the population of St Joseph was 7,351 and 60.8% of the population is female.
- St. Joseph is a city in Stearns County, Minnesota, with a population of about 7,000 people.
- The city is named after the patron saint of the Catholic Church, St. Joseph, and was founded by German immigrants in the mid-19th century.
- St. Joseph is home to the College of St. Benedict, a private liberal arts college for women, and the St. John’s University, a private liberal arts college for men.
- The city is known for its beautiful parks and recreational areas, including the St. Joseph Town Park, which features a beach, swimming area, and boat launch.
- The city is home to a number of historical landmarks, including the St. Joseph Historical Society Museum, which showcases the history of the area.
- St. Joseph is home to the St. Joseph Food Shelf, a nonprofit organization that provides food and other assistance to those in need in the community.
- The city hosts a number of annual events and festivals, including the St. Joseph Summer Fest, which features live music, food, and carnival games.
- St. Joseph is home to a number of churches, including St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, which was built in 1873 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The city is located near the St. Cloud metropolitan area and is about a 1-hour drive northwest of Minneapolis.
- St. Joseph is home to the Stearns History Museum, which has a collection of over 60,000 artifacts and documents related to the history of Stearns County.
Data Source : US Census