If you love traveling then you should plan a trip to Ireland. It is one of the most beautiful tourist destinations. It has historic towns, dramatic landscapes, and fishing villages. Well, I come from Athlone, Ireland; a town located along the River Shannon. It is endowed with beautiful views and historic castles. If you want to know more about Athlone then read on and find out.
The following are things to do in Athlone
Visit Athlone Castle
Athlone Castle was built by John de grey. It is one of the iconic places that you can visit in Athlone. It has some interesting historic Napoleonic wars which were fought behind the walls of this Castle. It was recently renovated to give it a modern look. So you can take photos in this iconic Castle that has beautiful sceneries. Additionally, it is a perfect crossing point to River Shannon.
Go to the church of Saint Peter and Paul
Another iconic landmark in Athlone is the church of Saints Peter and Paul which is located in the West Bank of the Shannon. This church is endowed with beautiful architecture and a pair of Italian sculptures that are symbolic of Irish Catholicism. The ground floor is built using white limestone which gives it a perfect finish. If you have time during the weekend you can go for a church service and experience the Glamour of this iconic church.
Enjoy some entertainment at Dean Crowe theatre
During the weekends you can have some live entertainment at Dean Crowe theater. This auditorium has a capacity of approximately 460 people and it was built during early 1800. It used to be St. Aloysius college but it was later used as a church before the completion of Saint Peters and Paul. Furthermore, all the Ireland drama festivals are usually done here ranging from children events, music performance, and stand-up comedy shows.
Take a nature walk along Shannon banks
There is a path behind Athlone Castle which takes you along River Shannon to the old Italian canal where you will encounter various ecosystems, wooden wood Bridges, and old trails. This makes it very interesting especially if you are a nature enthusiast. You can also take photos of this beautiful scenery.
What do you like best about your City
Athlone offers fun and exciting moments. I like this city because it is full of life and it can accommodate everyone’s needs. There is Lough ree where you can try everything from paddle boats, kayaking, and other interesting activities since it is one of the best water parks. Additionally, there is an Athlone golf club with the most elegant golf courses in the whole country. This is the best place to relax especially if you love playing golf. You can also sail the boats from Hodson bay to Clonmacnoise. Athlone offers lots of fun activities and the residents are very welcoming and enthusiastic. If you are a visitor you can blend in well with the locals as you enjoy wall rail-trails Athlone Castle, Bay sports, and other fun activities that you can do in the city.
Best Walk in Athlone
Taking a walk through the historical buildings is one of the best feelings. Additionally, you will have some good time walking along the Riverbanks of River Shannon. There is also a 42 km stretch through the Great Western railway in the old Midlands which has been paved over to link Athlone and the old Town of Mullingar in the east. This trail traverses through some farmlands which can be the best place to take a walk especially if you are with your family and friends. You can also take bicycle rides through the Bridges tunnel and the station that is a few kilometers from uisneach which is covered with historic Cairns and barrows.
Best Places to Eat in Athlone
When you visit Athlone, you should definitely eat some of the local cuisine. If you are planning a day trip to Ireland, you should visit one of the many great dining options in Athlone. Whether you’re looking for a traditional Irish pub or a more upscale Italian restaurant, the town offers plenty of choices. The following are just some of the most popular places to eat in Athlone.
If you’re on a budget, you can try a number of cafes and restaurants in Athlone. Left Bank Bistro, for instance, is located in the left bank quarter. This popular restaurant offers a great dining experience for locals and visitors. Located in a historic building, it offers a relaxing, friendly atmosphere. If you’re craving a traditional Irish meal, you can try the popular John Stone Beef at the Fatted Calf.
Fatted Calf – The town’s oldest pub, the Fatted Calf, has been in operation for three generations. The family-run establishment has a menu filled with wholesome, seasonal ingredients. Whether you’re craving an Irish classic or a fusion of Lebanese, Thai, or Lebanese dishes, Athlone has it all.
The Irish Coffee House is a local favorite, and has been around since the late 1800s. This cozy establishment offers a full Irish breakfast and an extensive steak menu. You can even create your own burger! This pub also has a unique Irish cheese platter that’s perfect for sharing! The atmosphere is warm and welcoming, and the service is friendly. Visiting the Irish Coffee House is a great way to get a taste of Irish culture.
Thyme Café – Located in the centre of Athlone, this upscale eatery features fresh ingredients from the midlands and has won several awards. Thyme Cafe’s food is modern Irish and changes seasonally. Visitors can enjoy their meals in a comfortable environment. You can also sample some of the region’s famous John Stone Beef, which is a specialty of this restaurant.
Best Places to Stay in Athlone
I have added some of the most popular places to stay in Athlone. If you’d like more details or customer reviews click on the links and you will be taken to TripAdvisor.
- Athlone Springs Hotel is modern and elegant with 68 spacious bedrooms, this 4 star hotel is among the best in Athlone. All bedrooms have the option of a bath with overhead shower with additional extras such as work desk, TV and free Wi-Fi.
- The Prince of Wales Hotel is a small hotel with a big personality. We have 46 bedrooms and are a family run hotel which prides itself on friendliness and we take all feedback negative and positive to try and improve and learn as we are going on.
- Sheraton Athlone Hotel is a unique hotel in Ireland. Offering all of the comfort you can expect from a four star hotel, including 167 luxurious bedrooms and suites, with many affording spectacular views over the River Shannon and Ireland’s lakelands, as well as outstanding spa facilities.
Best Music /Festival
The Athlone Shannon festival is one of the most popular festivals. You will have lots of fun with some smooth jazz music playing in the background. You can also enjoy your favorite delicacies. Besides, you will have the opportunity to explore the medieval villages that features weapon-making and embroidery. Your kids will also enjoy painting workshop. If you’re a music lover you will enjoy the best music. There are other activities such as boat racing, fashion show, flyboarding displays, and cookery demos that make this festival very interesting.
Athlone offers the best nightlife here in Ireland. It is popular with traditional Irish pubs where you can talk and eat as you interact with your family and friends. Sean’s bar which is situated in the main street of the Athlone town is the best place that you can spend your night. You will enjoy drinking and eating as you dance the night away. Additionally, you can also spend your night at the karma club which is located along Church Street. It is one of the most popular places that offer exclusive clubbing experience.
Best Daytrip out of Athlone
You can have a fun day trip here in Athlone by taking a short drive to Moydrum where you will find Moydrum castle. This Castle offers the best scenery and it has been featured in the cover album of U2’s The Unforgettable Fire. You can also explore River Shannon where there are lots of kayaking, boat racing, and other fun activities.
Something that you should know about Athlone
Athlone popularity is attributed to the pleasurable craft along river Shannon which is the largest lake in the area. It is also endowed with great history and castles that give you a good platform to learn more about the Irish historical background. Some popular wars like the Napoleonic wars have been fought here which makes it a rich cultural destination.
10 interesting facts about Athlone
- Athlone is the largest town in the midlands region of Ireland, located on the River Shannon.
- The town has a rich history dating back to the 13th century, when it was founded by the Anglo-Norman knight William de Lacey.
- Athlone Castle, which was built in the 1210s, is a major tourist attraction in the town. The castle has been through many renovations and has served as a military fortress, a prison, and a courthouse.
- Athlone is home to the oldest bridge in Ireland, the Athlone Bridge, which was built in the 13th century and spans the River Shannon.
- The town is also home to the oldest surviving building in Ireland, Sean’s Bar, which was established in the 10th century and is believed to be the oldest pub in Europe.
- Athlone is the birthplace of several famous Irish figures, including writer and activist Thomas MacDonagh and musician Shane MacGowan.
- The town is home to Athlone Institute of Technology, a third-level educational institution that offers a range of degree programs in engineering, business, and the arts.
- Athlone is an important hub for transportation in the midlands region, with regular bus and train services connecting the town to Dublin and other major cities in Ireland.
- The town is known for its vibrant arts and culture scene, with a range of events and festivals taking place throughout the year, including the Athlone Literary Festival and the Athlone Film Festival.
- Athlone is home to a number of sports clubs, including Athlone Town F.C., a soccer team that plays in the League of Ireland First Division. The town also has a number of rugby, GAA, and soccer clubs.