Nestled along Florida’s stunning Atlantic coastline, Hollywood offers a perfect blend of relaxation and excitement, with a wealth of attractions and activities to keep visitors of all ages entertained. Whether you’re looking to soak up the sun on the golden sand beaches, explore the natural wonders of the Everglades, or indulge in world-class dining and shopping, this vibrant city has it all. So, if you’re planning a trip to Hollywood, Florida and wondering what to do, read on for a guide to the best things to do in this bustling coastal city.
When you think of Hollywood, you will most likely conjure images of celebrity stars and a larger-than-life sign. Yet, when I think of Hollywood my mind pictures emerald beaches whose sky is lit with shooting stars on warm nights. My Hollywood belongs to Florida, USA which is the northern, sister city to its more popular sibling, Miami. If you want to experience the picturesque sights of Miami without the excessive cost, Hollywood is the best travel destination for you.
Hollywood is the twelfth largest city in Florida and the second largest in Broward County. It was originally a tomato farm and pine forest before Joseph Wesley Young platted the town. While it was incorporated in 1925, it was not until the 1960s that the city grew into a tourist destination. Today, the city is a bustling shopping and dining area.
There are two things you must do you travel to Hollywood. The first is to visit its treasured beach. While South Florida isn’t known for gnarly surfing waves, it is the perfect place to collect a rainbow assortment of seashells with ocean water which parts delightfully in sand bars. Here you’ll be privy to people who have turned kite flying into a craft and skim boarders gliding on the cusp of the shore.
The second activity you must do when you travel to this city is visit ArtsPark at Young Circle. This area of Hollywood was named after its founder, Joseph Wesley Young. Whether you are an adult or a child, this park offers everything to keep everyone entertained. It’s tough to pinpoint my favorite thing about ArtsPark between live glassblowing and the outdoor movies they play on Friday nights. If I had to choose, it would be the installment of pop art statues created by renowned artist, Romero Brito, that line the park’s circle. Catch a free Sun Shuttle to travel to both in style.
What do you like best about your city?
Although I only mentioned things you must do, what I like the most about Hollywood is the amount of things that you can do! If you are in an adventurous mood, you can opt for some BYOB axe throwing at Extreme Axe Throwing on Hollywood Boulevard (ladies get half off on Thursdays) or ride a banana bike along the beach. Want something a bit more relaxing? Mosey on over to the Hollywood public library, which also happens to share its interior with the town hall. Totally broke or on a budget? Travel along Hollywood Boulevard and Harrison Street to view plaques with historical snippets as well as stunning murals. It’s impossible to be bored in this area.
Best Walk in Hollywood Florida
Those who have traveled to Hollywood can attest to how scenic it is making it the perfect place to take a stroll; however, the best walk is along the 2.5 mile Hollywood Beach Boardwalk. Its been rated one of the best boardwalks by popular travel magazine, Travel + Leisure, for a good reason! As you take your stroll you have the choice to turn your attention toward the beach itself lined with salt-tolerant foliage, or the assortment of small shops and restaurants. In the approximate middle of the boardwalk you will run into the Hollywood Beach Theatre. If you happen to cross it Wednesday through Sunday from 7-9PM, you can catch live music. Time it right and you can watch the sunset followed by some free, local jams.
Best Accommodation in Hollywood Beach Florida
Here is a short guide to the more popular hotels, bed and breakfast and backpacker accommodation in Hollywood. This certainly isn’t an extensive list but appears to be the most popular accommodation in the city.
Check out the links which will take you to TripAdvisor for more detail and reviews.
1. Seminole Hard Rock Hotel Hollywood
Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida is only minutes from Fort Lauderdale and is one of south Florida’s premier entertainment venues with a casino and 5,500 seat concert arena that attracts the top performers.
2. Hollywood Beach Hostel
The Hollywood Beach Hostel is a new boutique hostel located on the beach and boardwalk in the heart of Hollywood Beach. This hip hostel offers more than 50 beds with female, male and mixed-sex shared, suites, family suites and private rooms.
Our Mexican-restaurant-bar the Taco Beach Shack has amazing food and prices, featuring cabanas, sand-lounge, 20ft screen projector, 2 ping pong tables, live music and events every night.
3. Topeekeegee Yugnee Park Campground
Topeekeegee Yugnee Park Campground is Just minutes from busy I-95 highway this park is home to a campground and Castaway Island, with two water playgrounds and a swim lagoon.
4. St Maurice Beach Inn won a 2021 TripAdvisor Travellers Choice Award for Hollywood. The hotel is located steps away from the beautiful Hollywood Beach, The location of St Maurice Beach Inn could not be more perfect. Take in spectacular sunrises, where the sun meets the sea. Enjoy strolling along the Hollywood Boardwalk, taking in miles of gorgeous sandy beaches, outdoor cafes and restaurants, and local shops.
5. Margaritaville Hollywood Beach Resort is is a full-service oceanfront resort and entertainment complex offering amenities and services that create the perfect setting to escape the everyday. Conveniently located on South Florida’s legendary Hollywood Beach Boardwalk in Hollywood, Florida, the destination resort features multiple waterfront venues, including eight diverse restaurant and bar concepts, a top-30 U.S. ranked full-service spa, a recreational area with three pools.
Best Restaurants in Hollywood Florida
Just like there are many things to do when you travel to Hollywood, there is also a smorgasbord of restaurants. If you are a vegetarian or just a connoisseur of cheap eats, you must check out Mauro’s Pizza. What makes this spot extra special is not only the gargantuan size of a pizza slice, but the price. It’s worth noting that it’s cash only. If you’re feeling a little picante, you might want to eat at Los Pinchos, an unassuming Colombian restaurant that’s open 24 hours a day. Snack on some empanadas with salsa verde to wake up those taste buds. If you want a taste of everything, head over to the ArtsPark for a menagerie of food trucks on Monday nights.
Hollywood, Florida is a vibrant and diverse city that offers a wide range of dining options to suit every palate. From seafood to Italian cuisine, Hollywood has something to offer for everyone. In this article, we will explore some of the best restaurants in Hollywood, Florida.
- GG’s Waterfront Bar & Grill GG’s Waterfront Bar & Grill is a waterfront restaurant located on the Intracoastal Waterway. It offers spectacular views of the yachts passing by, and is known for its fresh seafood, including oysters, lobster, and sushi. GG’s also has a great selection of cocktails and a wine list that complements the seafood dishes perfectly.
- Le Tub Saloon Le Tub Saloon is a beachside burger joint that has gained national recognition as one of the best burger spots in America. Its claim to fame is the “world-famous” Le Tub burger, which is a massive burger that is served on a bun and comes with a side of homemade fries. The restaurant has a laid-back atmosphere and is perfect for a casual meal.
- Mama Mia Italian Ristorante Mama Mia Italian Ristorante is an authentic Italian restaurant located in the heart of Hollywood. The restaurant offers a wide range of classic Italian dishes, including homemade pasta, pizza, and seafood. Mama Mia also has a great selection of wines from Italy and other regions of the world.
- The Taco Spot The Taco Spot is a funky and fun restaurant that serves up some of the best Mexican cuisine in Hollywood. The restaurant offers a wide range of tacos, burritos, and other Mexican favorites, and is known for its fresh ingredients and creative twists on traditional dishes. The Taco Spot also has a great selection of craft beers and margaritas.
- The Greek Joint The Greek Joint is a family-owned and operated restaurant that offers authentic Greek cuisine in a cozy atmosphere. The restaurant offers a range of classic Greek dishes, including souvlaki, gyros, and moussaka. The Greek Joint also has a great selection of wines from Greece and other regions.
- Latitudes Restaurant Latitudes Restaurant is a fine-dining restaurant located on the 16th floor of the Hollywood Beach Marriott. The restaurant offers spectacular views of the ocean and is known for its contemporary American cuisine. Latitudes also has a great selection of cocktails and wines from around the world.
- Osteria Procaccini Osteria Procaccini is an Italian restaurant that specializes in authentic Neapolitan pizza. The restaurant offers a range of classic Italian dishes, including homemade pasta and seafood. Osteria Procaccini also has a great selection of wines from Italy and other regions of the world.
- The Little Cuban Cafe The Little Cuban Cafe is a casual cafe that serves up some of the best Cuban cuisine in Hollywood. The restaurant offers a range of classic Cuban dishes, including sandwiches, empanadas, and Cuban coffee. The Little Cuban Cafe also has a great selection of fresh juices and smoothies.
In conclusion, Hollywood, Florida has a vibrant and diverse dining scene that offers something for everyone. Whether you’re in the mood for fresh seafood, authentic Italian cuisine, or casual Mexican fare, Hollywood has it all. The restaurants listed above are just a few of the best options in the city, and are definitely worth a visit. So the next time you’re in Hollywood, be sure to check out some of these amazing dining spots!
Best Music/Festival in Hollywood Beach Florida
You might think that the Hollywood Beach Theatre is the best place to catch music, but it’s the ArtsPark Amphitheater that holds the limelight. There is a constant flow of locals that take the stage with a variety of genres. You might hear reggae one night and smooth jazz the next. More than that, sometimes big names like the soul-healing En Vogue and the NPR featured, Chicano Batman grace its stage. Like most fun things to do in Hollywood, all shows are always free to the public. Look like a local by bringing a foldout chair to watch.
Best Nightlife in Hollywood Beach Florida
Hollywood, Florida is a city that never sleeps, and its nightlife scene is a testament to this fact. With a variety of bars and nightclubs, Hollywood has something to offer for everyone. In this article, we will explore some of the best nightlife spots and bars in Hollywood, Florida.
- The Whiskey Tango The Whiskey Tango is a popular nightclub that offers live music, dancing, and a full bar. The club is known for its high-energy atmosphere and has a reputation for attracting a diverse crowd. With different theme nights throughout the week, The Whiskey Tango is always packed and is the go-to spot for a fun night out.
- The Tipsy Boar The Tipsy Boar is a gastropub that offers a unique combination of craft beers, cocktails, and gourmet food. The pub has a rustic and cozy atmosphere and is perfect for a relaxed night out. The Tipsy Boar also has a large outdoor patio that is great for enjoying a drink with friends.
- Mamacita’s Mexican Bar & Grill Mamacita’s Mexican Bar & Grill is a fun and lively restaurant that serves up authentic Mexican cuisine and a range of cocktails and tequilas. The restaurant has a festive atmosphere and is perfect for a night out with friends. Mamacita’s also offers live music and entertainment throughout the week.
- The Social Room The Social Room is a trendy lounge that offers a range of signature cocktails and a cozy atmosphere. The lounge is perfect for a romantic night out or for catching up with friends. The Social Room also has a great selection of small plates and appetizers that pair perfectly with their signature cocktails.
- The Hollywood Brewing Company The Hollywood Brewing Company is a brewery and taproom that offers a range of craft beers and a full bar. The taproom has a lively and fun atmosphere and is perfect for a casual night out. The Hollywood Brewing Company also offers live music and entertainment throughout the week.
- The Rooftop @ 1WLO The Rooftop @ 1WLO is a rooftop bar that offers stunning views of the city skyline and a range of signature cocktails. The bar has a chic and sophisticated atmosphere and is perfect for a romantic night out or for a celebration with friends. The Rooftop @ 1WLO also offers live music and entertainment throughout the week.
- The Greek Joint Wine Bar The Greek Joint Wine Bar is a cozy and intimate wine bar that offers a range of Greek wines and small plates. The bar has a relaxed and laid-back atmosphere and is perfect for a low-key night out. The Greek Joint Wine Bar also offers live music and entertainment throughout the week.
Best Day Trip Out of Hollywood Florida
It should come as no surprise that I recommend a travel down to Miami as a great day trip. Stroll along South Beach to get a feel of quintessential South Florida or choose to party like a rapper at LIV or Story. For a real treat, visit the Russian and Turkish Baths for a soak in aromatic waters and steamy saunas. It costs nothing to stroll around this scenic part of Miami and you’ll want to with the bulbous Botero statues on Lincoln Road.
Something that not many travelers would know about Hollywood Florida
A fun fact about Hollywood is that it was originally named Hollywood by the Sea. Its founder didn’t want people confusing it with its Californian counterpart and thought that would do the job when the city was created in the 1920s. The original architecture has remained almost the same over the years, but the name was shortened.
10 Interesting facts about Hollywood Florida
- Hollywood, Florida was founded in 1925 by Joseph Wesley Young, a real estate mogul who dreamed of building a city that resembled Hollywood, California.
- The city of Hollywood, Florida is named after the famous Hollywood neighborhood in Los Angeles, California.
- Hollywood, Florida has over 60 parks, including the popular Hollywood Beach Broadwalk and the Anne Kolb Nature Center.
- The Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino, located in Hollywood, Florida, is the largest casino in the state of Florida.
- Hollywood, Florida was used as a filming location for several famous movies, including “Marley & Me” and “There’s Something About Mary.”
- The Hollywood Beach Golf Resort, located in Hollywood, Florida, was once owned by famous golfer Sam Snead.
- Hollywood, Florida was once home to the world’s largest strawberry patch, which was owned and operated by the famous Hollywood Ranch Market.
- Hollywood, Florida is home to the largest art museum in Broward County, the Art and Culture Center of Hollywood.
- The Hollywood International Airport, which serves the city of Hollywood, Florida, was once a major hub for international air travel in the 1960s.
- Hollywood, Florida is known for its vibrant and diverse population, with a large number of residents hailing from countries such as Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica.