Railay Beach is a beautiful beach destination located on the Andaman coast of southern Thailand, in the province of Krabi. It is accessible only by boat, as it is surrounded by high limestone cliffs that cut it off from the mainland. There are no roads connecting Railay Beach to the outside world, making it a secluded and peaceful destination.
Railay Beach is divided into two main areas, Railay East and Railay West. Railay East is home to the main beach, which is a long stretch of white sand and crystal-clear water. Railay West is located on the other side of the cliffs and is known for its rock climbing and other outdoor activities.
Railay Beach is a popular destination for travelers looking to relax on the beach, enjoy the natural beauty of the area, and participate in outdoor activities such as rock climbing and kayaking. It’s a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere of a small beach town.
It would be a splendid idea to go island hopping and go with a huge group of people and meet new friends. You will be going to numerous islands such as Monkey Beach and Phi Phi Island. This tour is so popular that you will definitely meet people from different countries. For those who are a little adventurous, it would be nice to do a little rock climbing. You would need to be a little built for this type of exercise.
It is certainly not for the faint of heart. On the other hand, it is such an extraordinary experience to do rock climbing so you should certainly include it in your itinerary. Don’t forget to get to Viewpoint. Even if it is a little hard to get there, you will appreciate the view once you get to the very top. Yes, there will be some tedious hikes so you must be wearing the right gear when you have decided that it would be time to go to the very top of the mountain where the view is really nice.
What Do You Like Best About Your City?
The locals are pretty good speaking English so you will not hesitate in asking them directions. You will even learn a few Thai words along the way. They love tourists and they want you to blend in with their culture. They will never fail to greet you with a smile on their faces. There are a lot of locals selling goods at the night market too. It would be advisable to go there and you can even haggle for a lower price on the things that you find. When that happens, you will be able to get great deals on the items that are for sale. You should really remember to pick up a ton of souvenirs as they are all handcrafted by locals. Some items will come in handy when the time is right.
Walking from Railay beach up to the other side of the island would be a nice walk. After all, the other beach is great for those who like taking pictures of the sunset. There is also a lot of boats there that are actually restaurants so you would not mind ordering from them and eating by the beach. It is like having a picnic in the middle of the morning with a fantastic view right in front of you.
The Heart Restaurant has some delicious food. You will certainly not regret going here as they will fill your taste buds in more ways than one. Mangrove Restaurant is another place that has gotten nice reviews from people who have been there the past few years. You can bet each item on their menu is worth every penny you pay for. They sure know their local food and they also offer some nice drinks to pair with your food.
The ambiance is also nice and you can’t blame yourself if you end up spending a lot more time here than you originally thought. For some tasty Indian food, there is Kohinoor restaurant and all of their dishes are cooked so well by their renowned chef. You won’t regret spending one of your dinners at Amena Halal restaurant as they have some authentic Indian food that will get you craving for a lot more. Fushion Sushi is an awesome place for you to satisfy your Japanese cuisine cravings as they serve not only sushi but all the Japanese food you’ve grown to love.
The Last Bar should be your last destination for the night as it makes for some nice partying as there is music played by fantastic DJs. You can’t help but dance the night away while grooving to some music. The music is so good that you will want to get your groove on even if you are shy. It is called getting out of your comfort zone as it symbolizes what you really want to do in your life. Black Pearl is another bar known for some nice music as the beats change from time to time so better go there at a time when you will dig the music.
Freedom Bar has a wide range of cocktail choices. You will definitely be motivated to try out the different drinks here. The bartenders are also friendly and they would not hesitate to give you recommendations regarding what you can drink in order to make up for the time that you spend there. Bamboo bar is also nice as you will want to spend a ton of time sipping on some shots while people watching.
Best Hotels in Railay Beach
Consider the location of the hotel. Railay Beach is divided into two main areas, Railay East and Railay West, so consider which area you want to stay in. If you want to be near the beach, look for hotels that are located close to the water.
Best Day Trip Out of the City
You can take a boat and go to Ao Nang beach. It is a pretty long beach with lots of beachfront restaurants and resorts. When you go there, you will find paradise like no other. You are going to enjoy every step of the way when it comes to walking by the beach. Don’t be surprised if there are a lot of sunbathers and swimmers there enjoying the area. Better be wary of the schedule of the boat as some have strict departure times so you don’t want to get left behind. It is a good thing that some boats will wait for the capacity to get full before they will push through with the trip.
Something that Not Many Travelers Would Know About Railay Beach
Head over to Phra Nang Cave Shrine where you will see a display like no other because there are some pornographic displays of items that resemble men and lady body parts. In fact, it won’t be advisable to take your kids there because of all the displays there. It is certainly a shocking display that you would want to take a lot of pictures of so better make sure that your battery is fully charged before going there as you would not want to miss a single beat of it.
Interesting facts about Railay Beach
- You can only get to Railay Beach by boat due to the large cliffs that cut it off from the mainland. Ao Nang is the easiest access by long tail boat – 15 minute trip.
- Railay Beach is a very popular spot for rock climbers and is world famous for its climbs.
- Some of the movie Mortal Kombat 1995 was filmed on Railay Beach
- Railay Beach was not severely affected by the 2004 tsunami as they may have been sheltered by Phuket.
- Railay Beach is located in Krabi province on the Andaman coast of southern Thailand.
- The beach is only accessible by boat, as it is surrounded by towering cliffs that make it isolated from the mainland.
- Railay Beach is known for its crystal clear waters and white sandy beaches, making it a popular destination for swimming and sunbathing.
- The area is also popular with rock climbers, as there are numerous cliffs and routes to explore.
- Railay Beach is home to several luxury resorts and boutique hotels, as well as more budget-friendly accommodations.
- The beach is a popular spot for sunset views, with several bars and restaurants offering panoramic views of the sea.
- There are several caves in the area that can be explored, including the Diamond Cave and the Phra Nang Cave.
- Railay Beach is home to several temples, including the Wat Tham Sua (Tiger Temple) and the Wat Tham Seua (Tiger Cave Temple).
- The beach is a nesting site for sea turtles, and it is possible to see baby turtles hatching and making their way to the sea during the nesting season.
- Railay Beach is located near the Ao Nang Beach and Krabi Town, making it easy to explore the surrounding area.