If you love traveling and want to enjoy green belts, water, food, history and diverse culture then you must visit Sheffield. Sheffield is the fourth largest city of England and lies in the north of England, in the county of South Yorkshire. Sheffield has a lot of things to offer to tourists not only from England but from around the world. It lies at a distance of 35 miles from Leeds along the Don and Rivelin rivers. Sheffield, an industrial city, is well known for its green belts for plenty of outdoor fun and the peak district.
Sheffield is full of diverse cultures because of the two leading universities which are the University of Sheffield, and Sheffield Hallam University. So this city is home to more than 50,000 students. The majority of them are International and European. That is why it is a city of diverse culture.
In 2022 the Kelham Island area of Sheffield was named number 35 in Time Out 51 coolest neighbourhoods around the world.
Now we’ll explore this city in more detail:
Must do in Sheffield
If you ever visit Sheffield, you must visit Sheffield botanical gardens. The importance and beauty of this place can be best understood by knowing that all international students are taken to this amazing place when they come to study. It lies in the heart of the city where you can find easy transport services, the best restaurants and hotels, and it is near to the residential area. This is the best place for a day out in Sheffield. It has 5,000 different species of plants. It is stretched over 19 acres of land. It has glass pavilion and water features as well.
What things do you like best about Sheffield?
It is home to international students. It is home to two leading England universities where students from around England, Europe, and around the world come to study. This city gets the opportunity to introduce itself to new people every year and enjoys a diverse culture which gives local businesses an opportunity to boost their business as well.
Best Walk in Sheffield
Although Sheffield has a famous past for its steel industry. But It has much more to offer its tourists and outdoor activities due to its close proximity to Peak District.
Kelham Island Walk:
The walk starts from the Kelham Island Museum and ends at Lady’s Bridge. During the walk, you cross the river Don twice and Sheffield train station. The total distance is about 1.5 – 2 miles and it takes about 1.5 hrs.
This is one of the best places that Sheffield offers to its residents for a day out. The walk starts and finishes at Ladybower Inn. It runs through the famous snake pass until you reach a bridge. It is a very long walk which covers a distance of 5 miles and takes about 2-3 hours.
Meersbrook Park walk:
The walk starts at Meersbrook Hall and stroll clockwise around the park. You walk along Bishop’ House which is a beautifully built building and one of the oldest buildings of Sheffield. It is a 1-mile walk and takes about 30-45 minutes to finish.
This is also a very long walk but offers a lot of scenic views during the walk. It covers a distance of 4 – 5 miles and takes about 2 to 3 hours to complete.
Best Restaurants in Sheffield
As Sheffield is full of diverse cultures, it offers a variety of food to its residents and visitors. You can find any type of food in this city. You can find the best restaurants in City Centre and on the outskirts as well. London Road is famous for its variety of cuisines, where you can find any food depending upon your choice. You can easily find Chinese, Mexican, Asian, European, and Arabic food. Some of the famous restaurants that you must visit are:
- Panorama Restaurant which is famous for British food
- Olive Restaurant which is famous for Italian food
- Rafters which is famous for European food
- Na Pedra famous for seafood
- Enver’s Cafe & Grill famous for Turkish food
- Otto’s Restaurant famous for Moroccon food
Best Music Festivals in Sheffield
Sheffield hosts some great music festivals during the year. Some of the most popular music festivals are:
- No Bound Festival which is an experimental and electronic music festival where many top national and international artists participate.
- The Fold Forest brings a blend of Jazz and folk to its audience and brings artists from a range of genres. It is also called a little heaven for musical paradise.
- Sensoria Festival is all about innovation and experimentation. It is a festival of music, film, and art. It consists of various events so you have choice to enjoy all of them or attend one or two.
- Tramline Fringe is a very popular music festival in the city and is spread across various venues. The best thing about the festival is it is full of diversity and variety. Artists from all around the region come to perform in the event.
- Peace in the Park is another amazing music festival that takes place every year in the month of June. It is run by hippies and it is for hippies. It is a joy every time and the best place to find out what’s new in local music.
Best Nightlife in Sheffield
Sheffield is famous for its nightlife. You can find plenty of pubs and clubs in the city centre and outskirts as well. West Street, Carver Street, and Division Street are the most famous spots for nightlife. West Street is the busiest street in all of them. The city center is the main hub where all nightlife takes place and West Street also lies in the City Center.
Best Day Trip out of the City:
It is very hard to mention just one place because there are plenty of places to visit. However, Peak District is the best place for a day trip because you have plenty of spots. It offers scenic beauty, lush green belts, wildlife, water, and much more than that.
Something that not many travelers would know about Sheffield
Many travelers will find out it seems to be hub of the Asian community. The reason is it was once the steel city of England. Many migrants came to Sheffield during that time and are now settled in this city.